It is so easy to get bogged down in the details of a renovation or remodeling project. A time crunch, a house in shambles, and a tight budget can easily create a lot of stress. I find that when I am really stressed, I loose perspective completely. I become completely consumed by whatever is bothering me. Lately it’s been questions as small as “Which accent tile do I want to use?” to larger questions like, “How are we going to afford this?!?!” after our budget was drastically slashed (you can read about that here). Sadly, I have lost sleep over both of those questions!
During the stress and chaos of a renovation, it is important to maintain perspective. How do you do that?
By Giving Thanks! Just like your parent’s taught you when you were little, you have to remember to count your blessings. Renovating is a blessing in disguise!
- Be thankful you own your own home (or have an awesome land lord) and have the option to renovate.
- Be thankful you have the time, money and skills to make this happen. A lot of people don’t.
- Be thankful for chaos! Chaos means progress.
- If you are married, be thankful you have a spouse to support and help you along the way.
- If you are without a kitchen, be thankful you have other options for food.
- If you are a DIY-er, be thankful you have the skills and drive to complete the tasks at hand.
- If you are working with a contractor, be thankful you have the means to hire a professional.
- Be thankful you live in 2012! Can you image renovating without power tools and google?!
- If you are like us, be thankful for friends, family, and neighbors who help you along the way.
- Be thankful you have a place to call home, not just a house, apartment or condo, but HOME!
Y’all, there have been so many days it has been hard to give thanks for this renovation: when we got the bad news about the loan, when my shoulder wanted to fall off from scrapping wallpaper (here, here, and here), when we found termites for the third and fourth time. When this renovation is all said and done, we will have the home we dreamed of. We will have the home we worked hard for. We will have a HOME! Praise the Lord for that!
This post is the second of a series called 31 Days of Surviving a Renovation.
Day 1: 31 Days of Surviving a Renovation